At our first WEP Lewisham candidate workshop in March to mark International Women’s Day 2017, there was a discussion about the qualities of a Councillor as against the stereotype perception (this came up as a talking point at Lewisham Council on Tuesday at our presentation on Barriers into Politics).
Today I’m reading up on School Governance because I’m just beginning my journey into being a school governor at Sydenham School and I found this by Lord Nolan:
Here at WEP we like the number 7 quite a lot; we have 7 objectives, so here’s a fun and deadly serious game you can try as we have just 7 weeks before the snap General Election… (and just 2 before the Council Elections outside London):
Write to the person you are considering voting for (and even if time to the others too) and ask them to exemplify how their record stacks up with the 7 principles of public life and how they can demonstrate their active and ongoing commitment to the 7 objectives for women’s equality:
- Equal Representation (no points for already being a woman) in politics, business and public life (arts, culture, sports, governance and others)
- Equal Pay and opportunity
- Equal Parenting and Care-giving
- Equal Education
- Equal Treatment by and in the Media
- Equal Healthcare and Medical Research
- An End to Violence against Women and Girls
And then – find 7 people to do the same and persuade 7 people who aren’t registered to vote or are not interested, to vote both in the Council Elections and the General Election.
Let us know what they say on Twitter by tagging @justRMJ and @WEPLewisham